Search This Blog

Friday 22 August 2014

The 7 minute Scientific work out: Tried and Tested by an amature (for real)

The 7 minute workout: Tried and Tested by an amature (for real) 
Among high school students, 44% of girls and 15% of guys try to lose weight but only a few of them actually succeed. 
The reason being? US TEENS DON'T HAVE THE TIME!!! We all are in constant pressure and it comes from everywhere, from our peers to our teachers, from our friends to our family, from our neighbours to our parents. The pressure is inevitable.

We're constantly trying to do better, be more competent, be more likeable, be more smarter; All in order to secure our futures, become more financially stable, become independent and live up to everyone's expectations. We get so lost in the pressure that we forget all about our own health. Even if you're not trying to lose weight, exercise is one of the top ways to cope with stress, which why every teen needs to exercise. 


That's where The 7 minute workout comes in handy. A series of 30 second circuits, in other words, one workout per 30 seconds, with a break of (the time I took) 5 seconds because if you take more than that, you won't feel like doing the rest of it, trust me.

Many websites will tell you how extremely beneficial it is (I'm not denying that fact) but seldom will you find any actually preparing you for what's in store.  So here's a step by step introduction and analysis: 

1) Jumping jacks: I think we've all come across this form of exercise during gym class. On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give it a two. 

2) Wall sit: Okay okay okay, I've got to admit, this is pretty hard! But the difficulty varies according to the duration of it. Since we're going to be doing it for 30 seconds, I'll give it a 4.85.

3) Push ups: Well, I gotta be honest here, by the second push up I was done for good. But then I took a deeeepp breath and started once again, this time there was improvement, 3 push ups! so I kept on doing that and by the 30 second mark I was crying happy tears. On the scale I'd give it an 8. 

4) Abdominal crunch: I think if you've ever tried to workout, you most definitely gave this exercise a try. It's simple and after a few failed attempts, it becomes pretty easy. I'll rate it 3.25. 

5) Step-up onto chair: As easy and simple as it may sound, It is way harder than you think it is. First off, you need a chair that is optimal for you. Remember this, the height of your chair is directly proportional to the amount of calories you'll burn and the exercise's difficulty level. I'd give it a 4.75.

6) Squats: This is pretty simple but by the time you're done, you'll be so grateful! I'd give this one a 6.5. 

7) Triceps dip on chair: This is prettyyy tricky I must agree. If you're not too sure about it, check this website. The key thing to remember is that the chair should be stable and of optimal length, or else you might end up hurting yourself! I'd give this a 8.75. 

8) Plank: I don't know about you guys but when I read this word I instantly thought of a wooden plank, yes that was pretty lame of me but the point is, I had no idea what is was! So here's a how to. It's basically like push ups but you stay in the same position for 30 seconds. I'd give this a 7.05. 

9) High knees running in place: Okay so this is extremely simple and doable, all you have to do is run while standing in the same place, bringing your knees as high as possible. 

10) Lunge: I know how you get the idea of how to do it from the picture above but I think it's better to be safe than sorry:- 


I'd give this a 2.2. remember to keep on alternating the position of the legs. 

11)  Push up and rotation: This is basically push ups with a twist. Here's a picture to clarify, it:-

Remember to keep alternating the side when it's time for the rotation. I'd give this an 8.3.

12) Side plank: For the how to, click the same website for Plank. Divide the the time for each time, 15 seconds for the left, 15 seconds for the right. I'm giving this a 5.75. 


***Remember to stretch out or warm up before to avoid the cramps but it isn't very necessary with this 7 minute workout.   

Verdict: It is extremely beneficial and it will be even more so if you subdue your eating habits. As said in the article from The New York Times, "those 7 minutes will be unpleasant but after 7 minutes, you're done!"  It will take a whole lot of willpower and perseverance but by the end of the month, you'll be on cloud 9 because of the results!

Note: All the images above have been googled, no copyright intended. 
Bibliography: New YorkTimes,Dosomething.org.

Good luck!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment